Back porch refresh: a mood board and a plan

Our back porch currently looks like this:

We had it pressure washed and water sealed recently and we haven’t put our porch furniture back on it yet. Currently, it’s a big blank slate.

Prior to pressure washing, our porch looked like this: not bad, but kind of boring.

I’d like to change up the porch a bit, and make it more cozy. I created a mood board to pull all my ideas together.

We already have a rug and chair cushions that I love, but I would love to build this couch and table. I’d also love to swap out our porch railing for vinyl and metal and screen in the porch. I also plan to stain the porch boards and string up some Edison lights.

Of course, this will be done a little at a time. We will keep you updated throughout the process.

What porch projects are you currently working on?

A repurposed chair becomes a unique plant stand

A repurposed chair becomes a unique plant stand

A few years ago, my sweet grandpa gave me this chair. He heard I was looking for an old chair and someone had given it to him.

I liked the look of the chair. It was a nice size and I thought it was a cute chair. I just wasn’t too sure about that metal woven seat. The metal was a little sharp and I was worried about my kids cutting their fingers.

So I removed it. I then painted the chair yellow.

I also used a little sandpaper to distress it a bit.

I took some old wood planks and laid them across the bottom rungs of the chair.

I love how cute and unique this chair plant stand is. Plus, if I get tired of it, I can build a new seat for it.

But, the color brightens up our porch, and we get lots of compliments on our “fern chair.”

What have you repurposed lately?

DIY Raised Beds

About four years ago, my grandpa and I built some farmhouse shutters. You may remember them from this post.

I no longer have the window in my kitchen where these were used, and I don’t have anywhere else I’d like to use them. You know lumber is crazy expensive now and I’ve been itching for some raised beds.

I started by removing the hinges and hardware from the shutters. I left the basic shutter shape though.

I then simply joined the sides with wood screws.

And then I added cardboard and chicken wire to the bottom.

Tomorrow I am putting potting soil and plants in it. I can’t wait to show you what I plant.

I am also recycling some other former projects to create more raised beds.

Weekend Projects: The cutest little playhouse EVER!

We spent the weekend building this super cute little playhouse from a kit.

Kidkraft Country Vista Playhouse $594

The directions were fantastic and they were easy to follow. We started by putting together the sides and frame.

The roof was by far the hardest to put together.

Once I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, the roof went on easily.

And lastly, I put the doors on. This part was hard, but once I figured out the hinges, they went on perfectly.

And then for funzies, I added a solar gooseneck light and an iron bell “doorbell.”

We are also going to dress it up with a paver sidewalk and some flowers. The girls are loving the little playhouse.

You should totally buy one for your kids!

Installing a Portable Polytunnel Greenhouse Part 2

Last week, we shared our new polytunnel greenhouse. We have been working on it, since it is nearing the time we usually start our seeds for our garden.

This week, we have begun working on the inside. We just need to purchase a heater and install our irrigation system and we will be good to go.

The inside currently looks like this:

Stable mats from Tractor Supply (I used two of them) and poly resin Muscle Tech garage shelves from Walmart. They snap together without tools and are very sturdy.

For the shelves, we purchased 5 5-tier Muscle Tech resin garage shelves. The fifth tier made them too tall so I reduced them to 4 tier and was able to make one more shelf out of them. This way, if these shelves don’t work for the greenhouse, I can repurpose them in our attic or garage. I wanted something with holes for drainage and ventilation that wasn’t expensive, wouldn’t rot or rust and could be used for something else if they didn’t work here.

We have also ordered a potting bench that hasn’t arrived yet.

We are looking at several different heaters and we are leaning toward this one:

And as for hydration:

We are planning to DIY something similar to this.

I can’t wait to show you the finished product! Check back next week!