Make a Fixer Upper Inspired Typography Sign

You all know by now how much I love signs with words and quotes. I also love Joanna Gaines and Fixer Upper. I love the episode where she created this super cute atrium.

Source: HGTV

I loved everything about that cute little atrium, but I especially loved that cute “herboriste” sign. I tried in vain to find one but then decided to create my own.

I dig into my scrap lumber and found the perfect board.

I decided it needed a border so I taped it off with painters tape.

I cut out the word “herboriste” and placed it where I wanted it.

I busted out my old standby, a can of spray paint in one of my favorite colors.

I went to work painting the boards and removed the cut out letters, then traced the letters and filled them in with black paint.

I absolutely love how it turned out.

I think it makes a great addition to our patio.

What projects have you completed recently?

Advertisements

Upgrade your builder grade bathroom

Our hall bath needed a little help. It was the poster child for bland and boring. Plate glass mirror? Check. Builder grade vanity light? Yup. Boring and plain vanity? Yep.

My pipe shelves helped a little but ultimately we knew those lights and that mirror had to go. So a shopping we went. My brother-in-law put up the new light fixture and Michael and I put up the new mirror.

We are far from done with this bathroom. We still need to put down new flooring, get a new vanity and put in a new tub. But doesn’t it look so much better already?

Let’s see that before again.

And now after:

So much better!

I can’t wait until it’s completely finished.

DIY: Fixer Upper Inspired Wood Sign

Lumber on My Minivan

I have a pile of scrap lumber and I don’t want to waste it. I don’t even have any pressing building projects at the moment. However, I still want to create something from the wood.

I’ve been crushing on this Magnolia sign for awhile, but sadly, I didn’t act soon enough and now it’s discontinued.

Product_Magnolia_3_of_19_480x

Magnolia: Bakery Sign

I could just make something similar, right?

Untitled-Design

I found a board of a reasonable size and I painted the entire front and sides of the board white.

Untitled-Design

I got to work selecting the letter font and letter size I wanted. I then printed them off…

Untitled-Design

…and cut them out and arranged them on my board. I then traced the letters and filled them in.

Untitled-Design

The last thing left to do was to add a wall hanger to my new creation.

Untitled-Design

And then I just had to hang it on my dining room wall.

Untitled-Design

I am loving how simple and cute this looks hanging in my dining room! I will be featuring more signs and wood creations soon. Stay tuned 🙂

How to make industrial farmhouse shelves

Our hall bathroom looked a little blank and boring.

Just a nice room with a lot of space but a completely blank space. Also, there is a small vanity but almost no storage space. And do you see those little rickety shelves? They’re pretty ineffective and unstable.

So they had to go. Enter spackle.

That builder grade towel rack had to go too.

I purchased four plumbing pipe flanges in silver and spray painted them black. I also purchased four pipe nipples and some straight pipe at 10 inches long. I chose to buy 3/4 inch but you can choose any size you want. I spray painted all of it black and attached it to the wall.

I took some 1x4s from my scrap pile and cut them to the size I wanted. Then I stained them.

And I placed them on top of the pipes. Easiest part of the project.

I then sanded and repaired the holes I’d patched and touched up the paint.

And I’ve been enjoying them ever since!

Sometimes such a simple project can change your room so much. It’s amazing how for less than $100 we changed the look of the whole room. What are your thoughts?

Building a faux fireplace mantle, part 3

When we last left you, our beautiful antique mantle with its faux firebox looked like this:

Nothing was painted, no stone was laid. Things were kinda bare. And unfinished.

Our first item on the agenda was to paint it.

First, we caulked any cracks or areas we felt needed filling in. We painted the mantle and the adjoining boards behind it with white paint in satin finish.

Next, we installed Airstone to the surround and the bottom of the hearth.

This stuff is amazingly easy and fun to work with. Simply spread the adhesive on the back of the stones like you’re frosting a cake and press into place. You can also cut the stone with a hacksaw or circular saw.

We then laid faux slate vinyl tiles across the top of the hearth. We may upgrade it later to real slate but I am loving how this looks, and how little it cost.

We then painted the faux brick paneling with some matte black chalk paint. I just like the finish.

We still have a few areas to fill in and some trim to add, but all in all, I am loving it!

Stay tuned! The rest of our living room is about to change in a big way, and I can’t wait to show it to you!!

Have a great Monday!