New Uses for Old Things: DIY plant pots

Lately, I find myself trying to save money on my gardening supplies. If you aren’t careful, you can spend a lot on seed cells and plant pots. Why not try to use some of what you already have on hand?

I must have about a hundred of these. And yogurt cups! I decided to peel the labels off and wash them out.

I then spray painted them a color I liked.

And I let them dry for about a day.

Don’t forget to drill a drainage hole in the bottom of the cup.

And then your super cute planters are ready to go!

DIY Raised Beds

About four years ago, my grandpa and I built some farmhouse shutters. You may remember them from this post.

I no longer have the window in my kitchen where these were used, and I don’t have anywhere else I’d like to use them. You know lumber is crazy expensive now and I’ve been itching for some raised beds.

I started by removing the hinges and hardware from the shutters. I left the basic shutter shape though.

I then simply joined the sides with wood screws.

And then I added cardboard and chicken wire to the bottom.

Tomorrow I am putting potting soil and plants in it. I can’t wait to show you what I plant.

I am also recycling some other former projects to create more raised beds.

Scrap wood Challenge: a plan-less chicken coop or rabbit hutch

I never like to build anything without a plan- it’s so difficult and something always turns out wrong. BUT- is it really a scrap wood challenge if you use a plan? It’s still challenging, but building on the fly is a whole ‘nother level of challenging. It’s aggravating.

I knew from looking at a neighbor’s chicken coop about what design I wanted. So I started by creating the bottom with four four by fours cut at 30 inches long. I cut my 1x4s to 24 inches and built a frame. I then used two 1×12 shelf boards to build the nesting box. I cut the sides and the divider to 12 inches and cut one to 30 inches to form the back of the nesting box. I also added a 1×4 board frame to the bottom of the legs for stability and to add the wire later on.

I then added plywood to the bottom, top, and added a floor to the inside of the nesting box. I also created a small door for the coop.

Then, I added a 1×4 frame “chicken run” to the outside of the coop. I also added a plywood roof to the top.

And my youngest daughter decided she should try out the chicken run. 🙂 We started adding wire to the outside until we completely covered the open areas with wire.

And then we added hardware to the doors and egg hatch.

Three coats of paint and several shingles later, we ended up with the final product…which I will show you next week 🙂

Have a wonderful week!! We will see you Wednesday for school lunch ideas and on Friday for Farmhouse Friday.

Installing a Portable Polytunnel Greenhouse Part 2

Last week, we shared our new polytunnel greenhouse. We have been working on it, since it is nearing the time we usually start our seeds for our garden.

This week, we have begun working on the inside. We just need to purchase a heater and install our irrigation system and we will be good to go.

The inside currently looks like this:

Stable mats from Tractor Supply (I used two of them) and poly resin Muscle Tech garage shelves from Walmart. They snap together without tools and are very sturdy.

For the shelves, we purchased 5 5-tier Muscle Tech resin garage shelves. The fifth tier made them too tall so I reduced them to 4 tier and was able to make one more shelf out of them. This way, if these shelves don’t work for the greenhouse, I can repurpose them in our attic or garage. I wanted something with holes for drainage and ventilation that wasn’t expensive, wouldn’t rot or rust and could be used for something else if they didn’t work here.

We have also ordered a potting bench that hasn’t arrived yet.

We are looking at several different heaters and we are leaning toward this one:

And as for hydration:

We are planning to DIY something similar to this.

I can’t wait to show you the finished product! Check back next week!

Installing a portable greenhouse part one

If you know me very well, you know about my penchant for planting a large garden and starting it from seeds. I’ve been toying with the idea of buying a polytunnel for a long time but talked myself out of it due to the price.

I did a lot of research and discovered a portable polytunnel with good reviews that was well within my budget. It came in a neatly packaged box and was so easy to put together .

First, decide where you want the polytunnel to sit. Then, unbox everything and spread it out. Once you locate all the pieces, begin assembling the frame. It’s best to assemble it where you want it to be.

Once your frame is up, decide how you want to secure it. They include anchors but these anchors are no match for a Carolina wind storm. Some people use t posts to anchor it. We chose to build a small wood foundation and anchor the frame with metal straps. I’ll post a picture of that later.

Getting the cover lined up correctly can be tricky. Line up your cover and then secure it. It should fit tight but not so tight you can’t zip the doors closed.

This is what it looks like inside. We are far from done. We have just finished the wood foundation and used a stable mat for the floor. Soon, we will be adding shelves.

We hope you have enjoyed part one of our greenhouse tour. We will show you the finished product next week.