When we last left you, our beautiful antique mantle with its faux firebox looked like this:
Nothing was painted, no stone was laid. Things were kinda bare. And unfinished.
Our first item on the agenda was to paint it.
First, we caulked any cracks or areas we felt needed filling in. We painted the mantle and the adjoining boards behind it with white paint in satin finish.
Next, we installed Airstone to the surround and the bottom of the hearth.
This stuff is amazingly easy and fun to work with. Simply spread the adhesive on the back of the stones like you’re frosting a cake and press into place. You can also cut the stone with a hacksaw or circular saw.
We then laid faux slate vinyl tiles across the top of the hearth. We may upgrade it later to real slate but I am loving how this looks, and how little it cost.
We then painted the faux brick paneling with some matte black chalk paint. I just like the finish.
We still have a few areas to fill in and some trim to add, but all in all, I am loving it!
Stay tuned! The rest of our living room is about to change in a big way, and I can’t wait to show it to you!!
Last month, I told you all about how my husband and I purchased and antique fireplace mantle.
We have a long, blank and boring wall in our living room, that unfortunately is our focal wall when you walk in the door. I’ve always wanted a pretty fireplace on that wall but knew we couldn’t afford a real one. A faux one was the next best thing 🙂
Using a plan from Bless’r House as a model, we decided how large the mantle and hearth would need to be and we purchased the wood.
Here is a list of what we used to build the fireplace:
Antique mantle (found through local antiques dealers)
2 plywood sheets
Faux brick panel
11 2×4 boards
2 1X12 boards
1 2×12 board
Tape measure and yard stick
We began by deciding how large we wanted the hearth to be and we cut two 2X4sat 64 inches long. We chose 64 inches because this made the hearth a tiny bit wider than the mantle itself. The cross pieces and sides are 24 inches.
We then cut a piece of plywood to fit the top of the hearth, but we did not hammer it down yet.
We then carried the hearth into the house, placed it where we wanted it, and attached it to the baseboards. We then attached the plywood to the top of the hearth.
We then attached plywood strips and two by fours to the back of the mantle.
After attaching the two by fours to the side, and the plywood strips, we cut out a surround from one of the plywood sheets. I attached it using small wood screws.
I then attached 2X4s to the wall at the correct height to the wall. Be sure to hang these on studs, but if you can’t, make sure you use drywall anchors that can accommodate heavy weights.
I then attached the 1X12s for the side braces to the 2x4s.
I then put the mantle up beside these braces, and attached the two by fours on the back of the mantle to the braces. I used decking screws to do this.
I then realized we had about an eight inch gap between the mantle and the wall.
Attaching a 2X6 to this space covered the gap and laid flush with the back of the mantle.
We then cut and added faux brick paneling to the wall behind the mantle and on the sides so that the inside of the mantle couldn’t be seen.
We have nearly finished the mantle. We now only have to paint, add the stone, and fill in some nail holes. Our living room looks so much better already! Can’t wait to share the finished product with you all!
Last weekend, I posted this picture on Instagram, leading my followers to wonder what I’m up to.
I’m going to go ahead and tell you that this project will take several posts, and I’ll be talking about it for the next few weeks…but I’m happy to scratch the surface today.
This absolutely lovely antique mantle has been in my garage for almost two years. I knew what I wanted to do with it but just couldn’t find the time. Story of my life. I knew I wanted it done by December so I felt compelled to stop dragging my feet and just do it.
Then, there was a whole lotta strippin’ going on, and not the sexy kind. At least this kind of stripper doesn’t smell bad. Just brush it on with a paintbrush and wait thirty minutes. Then, scrape that paint right off. You may have to repeat the process, if there are several layers of paint to remove. I had to do this three times.
Plus, the stripper gives everything a pinkish hue, which is also lots of fun.
I used low grit sandpaper and a plastic putty knife to scrape away the paint. I’ve almost got all the paint off.
And if you’ll tune in next week, I’ll show you the second installment. Come see us next Tuesday to see what I’m doing with this mantle.