A few years ago, my family and I built this.
This coop was a bit on the smaller side, and our birds quickly outgrew it. I was tired of seeing it sit around, so I decided to repurpose it.
We wanted a composter, but couldn’t find one for less than $100. And since I wanted to have a three-column composter, I couldn’t justify spending $300-plus on the thing. I decided to repurpose part of the coop- the chicken run.
I started by removing each side of the run.
I then added slats to the side and hardware cloth to discourage pests.
It’s definitely not pretty, but it was made all from repurposed materials, so it’s free. I look forward to making gardening dirt and growing some really great plants.
This was not a hard project, but it was a bit time consuming. The eventual plan is to build two more. I will likely use pallets to do this. I can’t wait to share how it’s working with you.